Title of the Practice: Culture Study Centre
The Culture Study Centre serves as a hub that caters to students’ curiosity about various cultures, traditions, and societal norms. It offers an engaging space for students to research, learn, and interact, promoting cross-cultural awareness and facilitating intercultural dialogue. The Centre is designed to empower students to explore and appreciate diverse cultural heritages, fostering a more inclusive and globally-minded student body.
Objectives of the Practice:
- To conduct research on folk tradition and culture by exploring materials in ballads, oral narratives, festivals, songs and so on.
- To organize seminars, workshops, field trips and study tours.
- To maintain archives in the form of writings, artifacts, audio-video tapes and photographs.
- To impart practical life skill knowledge and cultural values.
Baptist College is the only college in Nagaland to have a Culture Study Centre. It was established on 6th September, 2003. It aims to provide students with resources, activities, and opportunities to examine and understand different cultures and traditions by exploring the rich heritage of different communities.
One prominent event hosted by the Center is Cultural Day, featuring a rich tapestry of activities such as folktales, folk songs, dances, re-enactment of traditional customs and practices, displays of cultural attires and ornaments, and the installation of diverse cuisine stalls, showcasing the unique foods of various tribes and communities.
Other activities conducted by the Centre includes: organizing seminars, workshops on practical life skills like bamboo craftwork and skill based activities like cultural motifs paintings, crochet, and paper craft etc.
Evidence of Success:
The initiatives undertaken by the Centre has seen an increase in cultural awareness among the students and in helping them to develop a deeper understanding and appreciation of different cultures, languages, traditions and perspectives which is evident in an inclusive environment attracting a diverse student population, promoting cultural exchange. Outcome is also visible in supporting research in cultural studies, the publication of academic papers and showcasing its impact on advancing knowledge in the field.
Problems encountered and Resources Required:
- Ensuring active student and community participation in cultural events and activities is a challenge.
- Sufficient financial resources to support cultural events, maintain facilities, and acquire cultural artifacts is a concern.
- Requires access to a wide array of cultural artifacts, books, and multimedia resources for research and education.
- Adequate venues and facilities for cultural exhibitions, performances, and workshops are limited.